Capybaras are one of the most popular exotic pets but how much does a capybara cost?
What is the actual price of a capybara and other expenses to keep them as pets?
I have had capybaras as pets for more than 5 years and in this blog post, I’ll tell you how much are capybaras cost to you. Though it may vary in different countries, more or less it’s going to be the same.
- 1 How Much Does a Capybara Cost in 2024?
- 2 Basic Costs of Owning a Capybara
- 3 What are the Factors that Affect the Capybara Cost?
- 4 What are the Other Expenses to Own a Capybara as Pets?
- 5 How Much are Baby Capybaras?
- 6 How Much are Capybaras in Canada?
- 7 How Much are Capybaras in Florida?
- 8 To Wrap Up:
How Much Does a Capybara Cost in 2024?
The average cost of a capybara is $1,500 to $4,000. This is just the cost of purchasing a capybara there are other expenses such as their diet, enclosure, veterinary expenses, grooming, hygiene, etc.
Obviously, the cost of capybaras depends on breed, breeder, age, gender, etc. There are many factors as discussed already that will affect their price.
For example, there are albino capybaras that may cost on a higher side as compared to normal capybaras.
Also, capybaras are the largest rodents in the world and they are big in size, both in height as well as weight. They are herbivores and their diet is also good which will add as an expense. You need to take their responsibility and provide them with proper nutrition.
You can also adopt a capybara if you know anyone who is willing to give you their pet but remember to check the condition in which the capybara was living and how he is bred.
Now, after addressing the question of how much does a capybara cost, let’s understand the other expenses that you need to incur if you want to keep a capybara as a pet.
Basic Costs of Owning a Capybara
|Type of Expenses
|Food and Treats
|$600 to $960
|$20 to $40
|$40 to $60
|Leashes and Collars
|$20 to $50
|$30 to $150
|Routine Veterinary Care
|$800 to $1500
|Preventive Medications and Suppliments
|$200 to $600
|Training Classes or Resources
|$25 to $300
|Petsitters or Boarding
|$100 to $300
|Average Monthly Cost of a Capybara
|$153 to $330
|$1835 to $3960
How Much Does a Capybara Cost Per Month?
It may not be possible to tell the exact expenses of a capybara per month but to give you a rough idea, the minimum capybara cost would be $50-$80 a month.
You have to spend on food per month, this is the bare minimum, which will cost you around $50-$80.
Other expenses would be toys, training, leashes, beds, etc are all fixed expenses, you don’t have to spend every month. There will be some months in which your capybara cost will increase, and that’s how your minimum expenses would be around $50-$200 a month.
On the other hand, it can go up to $300 depending on how you spend and care for your capybara.
For example, if you give quality food, the cost will be up and vice versa. If I talk about myself, my capybara cost per month is approx. $150 a month.
How Much Does a Capyara Cost Per Year?
Capybara pet cost per year would be around $1835 to $3960. I have tried to put all that I can and the expenses that I have spent on my capybaras a year.
Now there are things you can avoid, if you want, you can avoid professional training, and train your capybara by yourself.
You can cut on some other expenses as well, and according to me, the minimum capybara cost for a year could go as low as $1200-$1500, depending on country to country.
What are the Factors that Affect the Capybara Cost?
Capybara cost may depend on various factors and it also depends from country to country, Let’s understand one by one:
Breed: Capybara breed can affect the price of capybara. Buying a good breed will obviously have a higher price. It’s important to have a good breed to not catch any disease and remember not to get a wild capybara.
Age: Age also plays an important role in determining their price. Baby capybaras that are hand-reared are generally more expensive as compared to adult capybaras.
Gender: Female capybaras are more expensive than male capybaras as female capybaras can be kept for breeding purposes.
Temperament: Capybaras that are calm, friendly, and social are in higher demand and have a high price tag.
Availability: The availability of capybara in your area affects their price. If there is no capybara breeder available in your area then you need to get them exported from another country that will increase their price. Shipping cost, export/import restrictions, and local demand may influence their price.
Breeder or seller: A good breeder is very important as this ensures that the capybara you are going to get from that breeder will be of good quality and is hand-reared which will have a higher cost.
Additional Expenses: Additional expenses will include expenses on their diet as they have a good diet, habitat setup, enclosure construction, veterinary care, food, and ongoing maintenance costs.
These are all the factors that will affect the capybara cost. Now let’s see exactly how much does a capybara cost.
What are the Other Expenses to Own a Capybara as Pets?
If you are planning to keep a capybara as a pet you need to understand that they are expenses moreover there are additional expenses of keeping them as pets.
Of course, they are very friendly but you need to be responsible enough if you really want to have one.
The other expenses of owning a capybara as a pet are:
- Capybaras are giant rodents and are herbivores that can weigh between 35-66 kg.
- They need a fresh supply of vegetables, grasses, hay, and other food that a capybara eats to meet their dietary requirements.
- Capybara cost depends on the cost of food, capybara size, availability of suitable food sources, etc
- Veterinary Care:
- Regular veterinary care is important to keep your capybara safe and healthy.
- Regular checkups, vaccination, dental care, and parasite control will eventually increase the cost of your capybara
- Capybaras require a different bedding material to sleep and to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Remember they eventually are wild animals and they have specific needs that are different from you and me.
- Their bedding material can include straw, wood shavings, or other suitable substrates.
- The cost of a bed depends on the capybara size and how frequently you are changing the bed
- Toys and Enrichment Items:
- Capybaras are friendly and playful and it’s good if you provide them with toys and puzzles that will keep them engaged and prevent them from getting bored
- This will also help in mental and physical stimulation
- Though the cost of toys won’t be much still it will add to it
- Grooming Hygiene:
- It is important to keep your capybara hygiene parameters good.
- Capybaras may require some grooming from time to time such as tail trim
- Dental care is also required which will help them and you be healthy and safe
- Cleaning supplies will also increase the cost of capybaras
- Insurance and Emergency Funds:
- It’s important to add your pet insurance cost to help cover unexpected veterinary expenses
- You should also consider keeping aside an emergency fund for your capybara for any unforeseen situation that may require immediate care
These are all the expenses to own a capybara apart from the initial capybara cost. This cost may vary depending on how many capybaras you have and the cost of these products, materials,s, and services in your area.
Remember to provide a good healthy lifestyle. Do not keep them for the sake of just having a pet but provide proper care and they will be your best friend.
Cost of Setting Up a Habitat for Capybara?
You know now how much does a capybara cost and the other expenses of owning a capybara as a pet. Now the most important thing that you need to do is to set up a habitat for your capybara and it will be costly.
See capybaras are semi-aquatic animals, they spend a lot of their time in water. If you have a pool then it’s good if not then you can install a pool or get a small pool for them from the market.
Let’s see how you should set up a habitat for capybaras:
- Capybaras need a spacious enclosure that allows them to roam around and exhibit their natural behaviors
- Fencing is very important to secure the area and protect your capybara
- The cost of fencing will depend on the area you will fence and the material you will use.
- Capybaras are semi-aquatic animals and spend a lot of time in water, You will need to install a pool or you can purchase a small pool from the market.
- Remember to have decent size pool so that your capybaras can swim and enjoy
- You should also build a shelter for your capybara to protect them from extreme weather conditions, take shelter and keep them safe
- Again cost of the shelter will depend on the size and material you will use to build the shelter
- Vegetation and Landscaping:
- If you want the habitat of your capybara to look real you can also grow vegetation and do proper landscaping within the enclosure
- Heating and Lighting:
- You should also install heating and lighting systems to maintain suitable temperatures and complete the lighting requirements as well
- Cost of may include heating system, heating lamps, lighting fixtures, and energy consumption
This will of course increase the price of having a capybara as a pet but investing in a suitable enclosure with a pool, shelter, and other features will help in the overall health and happiness of your capybara.
Cost of Setting Up a Habitat for Capybara?
It is also important to know all the costs of veterinary care and check-up of your capybara. Being a capybara owner I know it is important to keep them healthy and safe.
- You should vaccinate your capybara to avoid any common disease or prevent zoonotic diseases
- Spaying or Neutering:
- If you choose to spay or neuter your capybara this will also add to the cost
- Though it is completely your choice
- Parasite Control:
- Regular vet check-ups are necessary to avoid any parasites both internally such as worms and externally like fleas and ticks
- Medical Treatments:
- Medical treatment if required in case of any illness or dental care will again add to the expense of keeping a capybara as a pet
You should consult your nearest veterinarian to get the exact cost involved in all these and if there is any other cost involved.
How Much are Baby Capybaras?
The average cost of a baby capybara usually ranges from $1500 to $4500 depending upon the location, availability of a baby capybara, and breeder reputation.
How much does a baby capybara cost depends mainly on these three factors.
It is not easy to find a baby capybara and if the availability is less the price will be high.
Location plays a crucial role as capybaras are native to South America and if you are from another country or continent it will cost you more as the breeder may need to export the baby from a country.
And of course, a good breeder keeps his pet healthy and provides proper care. A good breder will always charge more but it is worth the penny.
How Much are Capybaras in Canada?
If you are willing to buy a capybara in Canada you need to understand that capybaras are not in Canada and you need to import them from another country.
As I already said, the cost of buying a capybara is around $1500 to $4000 in addition to the cost of purchase, you need to pay the transportation cost and that depends on the country from where you are importing your capybara pet.
You need to fulfill the import requirements to bring your capybara to Canada and have to pay the necessary fees.
How Much are Capybaras in Florida?
If you are lucky enough to find a capybara breeder or an exotic pet shop that has capybaras for sale in Florida then it’ll cost you around $2000-$3000.
Cost may increase if the capybara is a female.
The is an online exotic pet shop that has listed a capybara for sale in Florida, you can check here. Please the breeder and capybara before buying.
If you are importing a capybara from another state or country then import charges and other inspection charges will be applied, which you can check here.
How Much are Capybaras in the UK?
In the UK, a capybara would cost around £1,500 to £5,000. Capybaras are not native to the UK, and you need to bear transportation costs and some other expenses.
How Much are Capybaras in Texas?
In Texas, a capybara will cost you around $1000 to $3000. This is just the buying cost, there are other expenses of capybaras that need to be taken care of for their health and well-being.
Also, this is just the cost, there will be expenses if you are going to import your pet capybara from another state.
How Much is a Capybara in Ohio?
The cost of owning a capybara pet in Ohio would be between $1000 and $3000.
To Wrap Up:
Now you must have got your answer to how much does a capybara cost and other expenses of keeping a capybara as a pet.
I know I haven’t given you the exact amount as the price may vary depending on the country you live in and that’s why I just gave you an idea of how much a capybara will cost.
Capybaras are very friendly this is my experience, yes they are expensive and you need to take responsibility but they will be your best friend if you have them in your home.
If you have any questions you can definitely ask in the comment.