Capyabaras have gained popularity in recent times and now people want to own them but there are some places where it is not legal to own capybaras. People ask me if is it legal to own capybaras in Thailand or not.
People love capybaras as they are highly intelligent and extremely friendly. Apart from being friendly they are social animals that means they cannot live alone thay live on groups or in pairs.
Being social animals they also love humans and other animals. Lets se if it is legal to own capybaras in Thailand.
Yes, You Can Own Capybaras in Thailand
It is legal to own capybaras in Thailand provided you have the right paper work. I know you are in love with these cute capybaras, and you can own capybaras in Thailand.
Thailand is a hub of trading wildlife animals and goods illegally that moves onto China and Vietnam.
It can be any species or goods whether it is legal or illegal. From living orangutans to tusk of dead elephant.
Commercial captive breeding is legal in Thailand and this masks the illegal trade happening in the country.
If you want to keep a capyabara then let me tell you, it is legal to own capybaras in Thailand but you should get lisence or permit and should have the right paper work as now the law is getting more strict.
How to Get Capybara License in Thailand
The Wildlife Preservation and Protection Act 1992 doesn’t allow wildlife to be kept in captivity. Which mean it is not legal to own wildlife animals and you cannot breed them.
In Thailand, wildlife animals are smuggled illegally and it becomes very difficult now to own wildlife animals and exotic pets in Thailand as the law is getting more strict.
But still you can own capybaras in Thailand by getting special permits or capybara license.
Things to Consider Before Keeping a Capybara as Pet in Thailand
Now as you know it is legal to own capybaras in Thailand given various conditions before keeping the pet in captivity, you must also consider the factors before keeping a capybara.
As they are exotic pets they need care, you cannot just keep a capybara and let it be.
- Capybaras are social animals, that means they cannot live alone. You need to buy at least a pair of them to survive.
- Capybaras are the largest rodents in the world and are herbivores, their diet is good. Though they eat on vegetables, fruits, grasses, grains, etc but they eat a lot and if you are planning to own one then make sure you full fill their diet on daily basis. Check what do capybaras eat.
- Capybaras need large space to live both indoor and outdoor you cannot just let them in a cage.
- Capybaras are semi aquatic animals, they live in water and on land. You need to arrange a pool as well as they spend time in water on daily basis. Check if capybaras can swim in chlorine pools.
- Don’t forget about their cost. Capybaras are expensive and you also need to spend on their diet, vet, care, etc. Check capybara cost and other expenses.
These are the things that you need to consider before buying a capybara.
To Wrap Up
Thailand law is strict when it comes to keeping wildlife animals as pets. There are other exotic pets also which are not easy to own and keep.
Yes, it is legal to own capybaras in Thailand but make sure there is no stone untouched when it comes to their lisencing and paperwork otherwise you’ll be in trouble.