Being a Capybara owner many have asked me can you own a capybara in Mississippi as many states in the US don’t allow its citizens to keep a capybara as a pet.
In this blog post, I’ll tell you if it is legal to own a capybara in Mississippi, how can you keep them as a pet, if there is any permit required to own a capybara in Mississippi and other related questions.
Can You Own a Capybara in Mississippi?
It is legal to keep capybaras as pets in Mississippi. However, you should contact your nearest authority to know if there is any license required in your area to keep them as a pet.
There are many states in the US that do allow capybaras to be kept as a pet such as California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, etc. but you still can own them in some areas in those states.
It may be due to the safety of the pet and the local public.
Now let’s understand the Mississippi laws and regulations related to capybaras and then understand if there is any permit required to own a capybara in Mississippi.
Why Capybaras are Legal in Mississippi?
Capybaras are exotic animals but they are not dangerous and that’s why many states allow their citizen to keep them as a pet.
But to avoid smuggling and illegal occupation it is required in some states to have a permit for keeping capybaras.
As I said capybaras are legal in Mississippi but you should contact the Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks or any local authorized department to know if there is any restriction to own a capybara, particularly in your area.
Law and Regulation to Own a Capybara in Mississippi
In the state, it is illegal to import, transfer, sell, purchase, or possess any wildlife animals which are dangerous and are not permitted.
You can own wild animals as well given you have the permit or are exempted from holding a permit.
There may be exceptions to public zoos, university research facilities, government agencies, and related entities. But you should contact the state wildlife department.
Now let’s understand how can you apply for a permit to own a capybara in Mississippi.
How to Apply for the Permit to Own a Capybara in Mississippi?
Many state requires you to get a permit to own a capybara or any other exotic or wildlife animal. This is done to ensure the safety and health of the animal.
Exotic animals or wildlife animals are smuggled in many countries and that’s why it a permit is necessary in some states.
Here is how you can apply for the permit to own a capybara in Mississippi:
- Research Local Authority:
- First, you should contact your local authority to know the basic details and if there is a permit required in your area.
- They can also help you in the process of applying for the permit.
- Contact relevant Authority:
- Now you should contact the Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks to confirm the permit and from where you can apply.
- Submit the Application:
- Now fill out the application form and submit it to the department.
- You may be required to give your details and your capybara details like from where you got the pet, breeder info, and other relevant info.
- Enclosure Inspection:
- The enclosure is important for capybaras for their and public safety as they are the largest rodent in the world.
- They are semi-aquatic animals so you should also set up a proper habitat for them.
- Officials may come to inspect the enclosure.
- Veterinary Certification:
- You need to get a certificate from a veterinarian to ensure your capybara is in good condition and health and doesn’t pose any risk to public safety.
- Fee payment:
- After getting all the documents ready and filling out the form you are ready to pay the fees for the permit.
- Cost may vary so you should check it by yourself.
- Education and Training:
- You may need to complete the training and formal education process provided by the relevant department.
- Again this is to help you to provide a better life to your capybaras.
- Approval and Renewable:
- After you get the approval you can get the approval and now you can legally own your capybara in Mississippi.
- Make sure to renew the permit from time to time.
This is how you can get your permit to own a capybara in Mississippi and can legally own it. You should avoid illegal possession of these animals as it would discourage the smuggling and poaching of these animals.
Is It Too Hot to Own a Capybara in Mississippi?
It is legal to own a capybara in Mississippi but is it ethical? Don’t you think the weather is too hot to own a capybara in Mississippi as a pet?
To understand whether the climate is good or not for capybaras in Mississippi we need to know the climate and temperature around the year in Mississippi.
Mississippi experiences short and mild winters while summers are usually long, hot, and humid.
The temperature in Mississippi varies from 35°F to 91°F and rarely below 22°F and above 97°F.
Now let’s see the ideal temperature for capybaras. Capybaras can tolerate temperatures as low as 40°F easily and as high as 90-100°F.
This means there is no such issue to keep a capybara in Mississippi but make sure to provide proper shelter with bedding of hay, straw, or mulch for winters and water supple such as a pool for summers.
Where to Find Capybaras in Mississippi?
You can find capybaras in a zoo in Mississippi. As per my current knowledge, the Hattiesburg Zoo has capybaras in their zoo. You can definitely contact them to get more info on this.
Apart from the zoo, if you want to own a capybara as in keep a capybara you need to buy them from a breeder or have to adopt from a person already having capybaras.
Let’s see how can you buy or adopt them:
Where to Buy a Capybara in Mississippi?
There are few breeders in Mississippi from where you can buy them. You can buy them from the breeders in Mississippi or can import them from some other state or country.
Whatever options you choose there are a few things that you need to consider while buying a capybara:
- Check if the breeder is good
- Check for the parents of capybara
- Check the health condition of the pet
- Check for vaccination
- Check for the age of the capybara
These are the few things you must check while buying a capybara from a pet store.
Where to Adopt a Capybara in Mississippi?
The second option to have a capybara for yourself is to adopt from someone who already has a capybara.
To adopt a capybara you need to look in your area, any known person, can contact a zoo or a veterinarian who can help you to find a capybara for adoption.
It may take time but it’ll be worth waiting. Again you need to check for things before adopting a capybara:
- Check why the person is giving his capybara
- Check for the health, if the capybara has any disease
- Check the habitat the capybara was in
- Check the capybara’s parents, are they healthy
- Check for the diet the owner is giving the pet
- Check if the vaccinations are done or not
These are a few things that you should consider while adopting a capybara.
Can You Keep a Capybara Inside Your Home in Mississippi?
Keeping a capybara inside your home in Mississippi won’t create any issues. It’s just that you care for the pet properly.
In fact, keeping a capybara inside your home will most probably make them happy given their nature.
But do make sure to let them go outside as well for exercise, potty, and other physical activity.
Can You Keep a Wild Capybara You Found in Mississippi?
Mississippi law restricts possessing a wild capybara or any wild animal you find to keep as a pet as it may carry diseases.
If you encounter any wild capybara, contact your nearest wildlife authority or a rescue team.
If you have already brought a wild capybara into your home, let the authorities know and you can also contact your nearest veterinarian.
Requirements to Own a Capybara in Mississippi
Capybaras are exotic wildlife animals and you need to care for them properly. If you are willing to own a pet you should fulfill your responsibilities of being an owner.
Being a capybara owner here I’m listing some responsibilities and requirements of a capybara that you should know before you own a capybara in Mississippi:
- Adequate Space:
- Make sure you have adequate space for your capybaras both indoor and outdoor.
- Capybaras are semi-aquatic animals, they love to enjoy their time in the water, you should have a pool, if not you can buy a pool from the market.
- Have proper shelter with light and heat facilities to safeguard them from extreme weather conditions
- Proper Nutrition:
- As I said capybaras are the largest rodents in the world, they are herbivores and need a good diet to fulfill their daily nutrition requirements.
- You should know what to give and what not to give to your capybara for their better health.
- Social Needs:
- Capybaras are social animals and love to be around their loved ones.
- They usually like to be in groups.
- If you are planning to own a capybara make sure you have a pair otherwise a single capybara won’t be happy.
- Contact your veterinarian for proper care requirements such as temperature regulations, training, light requirements, etc.
- This may vary depending upon your capybara’s age, size height, etc. so its better to go see a vet.
- Be a responsible capybara owner and vaccinate your capybara from disease.
- Visit your nearest vet and do regular checkups for the health and safety of your capybara and society.
Be a responsible capybara owner and fulfill your responsibilities towards your pet. Proper care and love will ensure the good health of your pet and trust me he’ll be your best friend.
To Wrap Up:
Now you must have got your answer to can you own a capybara in Mississippi? It is legal to own a capybara in Mississippi given you follow the rules and laws.
Get a permit and keep your capybara safe and healthy. Being a capybara owner I can tell they are very friendly and intelligent.
If you have any queries you can ask in the comments below, I’ll try to answer them.